IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT THE
FRIENDSWOOD HIGH SCHOOL BAND PROGRAM
- The marching band has 250 members
- The band program is divided into 5 concert groups – Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, Concert Band I, Concert Band 2, Concert Band 3
- Bands meet during the school day and combine to form the marching band.
- Jazz band meets as a class during the day.
- The color guard and drum line have their own classes that meet during the school day during the fall.
- The color guard has a winter program and competes indoors.
- Many are members of the National Honor Society.
- Most take private lessons.
- Many are involved in at least two other extracurricular activities outside band and are active in community groups.
- Band students are members of the Academic Decathlon team, UIL Academic Team, ranked among the top ten of the senior class, and have been Salutatorian or Valedictorian 12 times in the last 17 years.
- 85% are enrolled in Pre-AP and AP courses and several members are National Merit Semi-Finalists and Finalists.
- 87% have been on the honor roll.
- Band students receives a fine arts credit.
- For marching 2 years, a student receives a PE waiver.
- In their Junior and Senior year, a student may apply for a waiver so Band doesn’t count against GPA. This helps those vying for top spots in their class.
PAST ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF THE FRIENDSWOOD HS BAND
- The marching band has earned 9 consecutive trips to the UIL State Marching Contest making the finals 6 times and winning three Silver Medals.
- The marching band has won many local marching contests and has been a BOA Regional and Super-Regional Finalist.
- All concert bands at FHS earn 1stDivisions at UIL Concert & Sight-reading contest every year.
- The FHS Bands have earned the UIL Sweepstakes Award 17 consecutive years.
- The Wind Ensemble was the TMEA 2006 4A State Champion
- The Wind Ensemble as the TMEA 2010 4A State Champion
- The Wind Ensemble was the TMEA 2014 4A State Runner-up Band
- The Wind Ensemble was the 2001, 2003, 2016 – State Honor Band Finalist
- Nationally, the FHS Band was awarded Sudler Flag of Honor from the John Philip Sousa Foundation for having an Outstanding Concert Band program.
- The Wind Ensemble performed at the Midwest Clinic in Chicago, Ill.